Wine drinkers always want to know: Where can I find a good glass (or bottle) of wine? Well, we have you covered! This week in "The Hit List," Contributor Ro (@TravelingFlute) stops by to talk about her favorite places for wine in Downtown Los Angeles (DTLA) in the second part of a two part series. (Click here to read Part 1)
Tucked inside the basement of The O Hotel, you are immediately transported to a small town in the South of France. I kid you not! I was immediately drawn to the large French oak like vault door before I even entered the cellar.
Once you are seated at a table lined with light linen napkins, beautiful long stem Bordeaux glasses and classic flatware, you are transcended by the most beautiful French blues-mixed with Sam Cooke playing in the background. This is my kind of wine bar! You have quite the options to choose from because D’Vine literally caters to every wine lover who is looking for just the right place with just about everything you could want from a wine bar. Three reasons this is a must visit when DTLA and they are quite simple: Ask & Tell.
- Ask Joe to recommend a flight of 3 wines for you to enjoy with the complimentary chef’s d’morsels special. During my 1st visit I had the baked crostini of goat cheese (tomato, basil and drizzle of goat cheese) accompanied with a one bite sliver of prosciutto wrapped around a baked date…TOO DIE FOR!
- Tell Joe what notes you are looking for in a wine. If you like a Bordeaux, Syrah, Pinot or Rose, Joe will offer you a sample and pair that with a beautiful charcuterie board. My favorite was the Gamut blend from St. Helena. Heaven in a glass!
- Check the VAULT29 app to see the wine experiences I've enjoyed, as well as others, while visiting D'Vine.
I’ve been to this wine bar by myself and literally can enjoy a few glasses of wine, read my book and enjoy the ambiance of people chatting among each other, enjoying the music, or just getting into lively conversation at the bar. Nicest transport from Connecticut that will grow on you within 5 seconds of meeting him. He’s passionate about his work and just wants to ensure you enjoy the experience. Stop in a say hi to Joe and his crew. They will definitely make you feel like family.
Follow D'Vine Wine Cellar on Facebook - 821 S. Flower Street (basement level in The O Hotel).
If you look up and see a sign that says JESUS SAVES then you’ve made it to the right place. Once you enter you have 3 options. You can:
- Grab a bottle of wine on the ground floor of the hotel bar, tuck yourself into a corner booth and take in the sights of Broadway Avenue
- Grab a sit at the bar with a glass of Gamay and small plate of almonds and olives infused with citrus and olive oil
- Head up to the rooftop bar and take in the DTLA’s skyline with a bottle of Bourgogne Blanc. This bar is a little on the pricier side but the ambiance, European meets California fresh menu and Downtown L.A.’s skyline backdrop make it all worthwhile.
Tucked inside The O Hotel, this boutique hotel is host to Bar and Kitchen that serves seasonal American cuisine and small produced California wines from the Central Coast, as well as wines from the Rioja region of Spain. Choose from reasonably priced wine list of Balleto Estates Pinot Gris, Clos la Chance Sauvignon Blanc to my favorite the Cabernet/Merlot/Bordeaux blend from Haut la Pereye. Pair your selection with one or two savory bites from the 4-7pm happy hour menu. I miss the Korean Inspired Hot Wings, but the Pork Belly Tacos and Warm Spicy Feta are A-OK in my book.